Friday, May 15, 2009

True Beauty

As we were leaving the Irish pub at the resort last weekend, a lady and her husband pulled me over and asked if she could know more about Will. We talked a bit and she told me that she was inspired by Will. I told her that I had noticed her earlier in the evening. She and her husband were dressed nicely and seemed to be celebrating. I told her that they had inspired me as I watched her husband attending to her every need. She was in a wheelchair supported by a bed board of sorts and could not feed herself yet she was courageous enough to dress up and go to a public restaurant.

I took her hand and she told me that this was their 2nd anniversary and it was her first time to be out in two years. Shortly after their marriage and subsequent honeymoon in Ireland, she began to experience terrible pain and finally the Mayo Clinic diagnosed her with the worst case of arthritis they had seen. I exclaimed "but you high-fived Will - that must have hurt terribly" and she said she wouldn't have missed it. She asked if she could have a photo with Will and sweet Will gave her a big kiss.

I left so overwhelmed at her story and my own grandson's zest for life. I wondered if I was in her position - could I be brave enough to go out in public with my husband who loves to eat out and entertain? I wondered if my husband would be so loving, attentive and respectful under the same circumstances...We've been married 30 years compared to their two.

I am grateful that Katie and Reagan don't hide Will (as if they could!) even when curious children stare and whisper and point...even when people ask stupidly callous questions regarding Will's body....as Katie says "I wish everyone would just see Will has a beautiful curly headed laughing toddler-instead of noticing his differences" Most of the time people are totally charmed by Will and because he is such an extrovert they often notice his differences after they have succumbed to his blue eyed smiles. I am so grateful God has given Will this personality that brings such joy to people as he abandons himself and dances and high-fives and greets everyone (and I do mean everyone!) on elevators and planes and restaurants with "hi" and "by-by" and just laughs in such a way that it makes others laugh in spite of themselves.

Thank you to the lady at the pub, to Kyle Maynard and also to my Will who have taught me greatly what true beauty is and the power they (as well as myself) have to enable others to feel better just by being yourself, using the gifts God has given you and not worrying what others think.

1 comment:

Katja mit Fabian und Florian said...

Hi from Germany,

I found your blog by chance.

I have a special needs boy, too.

My son, Fabian, age 10, is wheelchair bound since he fell from a tree two years ago.

It was a very hard time for all of us after Fabians accident. The moment when the doctor told us, that Fabian is paralyzed and the moment when we must told him that he never walk again, was so terrible. Especially terrible was the day, when Fabian got his first wheelchair. I still cry when I saw him sitting in his wheelchair at the first time.

But Fabian is so brave! I am so proud of him.

Since his accident Fabian visits a school for special needs kids. All other kids in his class are disabled, too. The most kids must use a wheelchair, tree kids can walk with a walker / quad canes.

Every Saturday Fabian visits a sport group for children in wheelchairs. Two hours they play together in their wheelchairs. It is so funny for the kids.

Two month ago he got a new “Spidermann”-wheelchair.

If you are interest I will send you some photos of him in his new wheelchair.

I will be glad about a short answer mail.

Best wishes Katja
(Katja.Kretzler@web.de)